Friday, June 10, 2011

Week 5, Base 5

Who knew there were different bases in math? I certainly didn't! I had no idea that we counted and did math in base 10. In yesterday's class, we learned how to add and subtract in base 5. It was so confusing! The ONLY way that I could figure it out was with the kit. I thought it was really interesting to kind of be in our student's shoes and how frustrated they would be in base ten. Mrs. Cotton said that we could teach base 5 to our students if we wanted to, but I think base 10 will be enough for them. We also learned multiplication and Mandi taught us using the grouping and dots. I found a youtube video that showed numbers using dots and it reminded me of it. They gave different things to help, too, like using Dominoes or Legos.


Teaching Kindergarten Math : How to Teach Kids Numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment